Home » About Us » FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

What Do I Need To Do To Prepare For My Divorce?

First, you should retain an experienced and successful family law attorney who can advise you throughout the ensuing process. Next, you’ll need to take stock of your assets and determine what your goals are in the divorce. What is your budget? Will your current income support that budget? Do you want sole custody of your children or are you willing to share it with your soon-to-be ex-spouse? These are the kinds of matters to consider now.

Are There Any Family Law Cases Your Firm Does Not Accept?

Cook & Associates handles all family law cases.

Do I Need To Do Estate Planning If I Own Very Few Assets?

Yes. Even if you possess few assets, estate planning gives you the opportunity to plan for the unexpected. You will be able to establish a power of attorney in the event you suffer a medical emergency and cannot communicate your wishes. It will also allow you to protect what assets you do have and ensure they end up in the right hands when the time comes.

Am I Required To Retain A Probate Attorney If I’ve Been Named An Executor Of An Estate?

Legally speaking, no. That being said, most people find the probate process to be complex and at times, overwhelming. A seasoned probate attorney can guide you through the process seamlessly and provide the counsel you need should things become confusing or contentious.

Do I Need A Real Estate Lawyer If I Have A Real Estate Agent?

You are not required by law to retain a real estate lawyer in the state of Pennsylvania, but it is extremely wise to do so anyway. We can ensure you know exactly what you are signing and the terms to which you are agreeing. We can also help you navigate any messy entanglements that may crop up along the way, such as title disputes.

I’m Starting A Business. At What Stage Do I Need A Business Law Attorney?

You may be able to establish your new business without the help of a business law attorney, but the risks associated with that choice far outweigh the cost of a competent lawyer. We can help you determine what type of entity your business should be and what that will mean for your taxes, draft any necessary contracts, help you negotiate with potential partners and more.

How Can I Resolve A Legal Matter Without Going To Court?

Negotiations outside of court are very common. Two opposing parties can enter an agreement to avoid the court process. Alternatively, mediation is often the best tactic to take if you would like to keep your legal matter out of the courts. Engaging in mediation can be a more affordable option and generally results in greater satisfaction from all involved parties. Our firm is skilled in the art of mediation and will help you every step of the way.

Is Cook & Associates An Established Law Firm?

Absolutely. Founding attorney John Cook started the firm back in 1982 and has built an impressive reputation based on success. Our attorneys possess over 60 years of combined legal experience and are poised to help you with your present legal matter.

What Are Your Firm’s Business Hours?

Our office is open from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, but we can also make special arrangements to meet if you cannot make it to our office during those hours. Just give us a call, and we will schedule a time that works for you.

Does Cook & Associates Offer Free Consultations?

Absolutely! We believe there is tremendous value in speaking with potential new clients without them having to worry about billable hours before they have decided how to proceed.

Is There Accessible Parking At Your Firm?

Yes, and the free parking available at our location is one of the main reasons we chose to work in the North Hills suburb.

Cook & Associates provides trusted and effective representation for cases pertaining to family law and divorce, estate planning and probate, real estate law, business law and mediation in the North Hills of Pittsburgh. Contact our firm at 412-318-5897 today to schedule a free consultation with an accomplished lawyer.