John R. Cook
Managing partner and attorney John Cook has had a prolific career spanning five decades. He established Cook & Associates in 1982 in order to serve the needs of clients in the North Hills of Pittsburgh. He is well-known and respected in the community by his clients, peers, opponents, and other professionals in the legal field. His lengthy career has afforded him to the time to become proficient in a wide range of practice areas, including family law, business law, bankruptcy, elder law, landlord/tenant disputes, litigation and appeals, criminal defense for DUI/DWI, personal injury, estate planning and probate, real estate law, social security and disability benefits, workers’ compensation, and more.
In addition to his work in private practice at Cook & Associates, Mr. Cook spent over a decade representing community members in need of counsel as a public defender for the Chief Homicide Division of the Allegheny County Public Defender’s Office. He believes that everyone deserves a fair and just trial through the criminal justice system and advocates for aboveboard treatment and policies for all.
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania — J.D., 1966
- Haverford College, Haverford, Pennsylvania — A.B. in Political Science, 1963
Admissions & Memberships
- Pennsylvania State Bar Association — Member, 1967 – Present
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania — Member, 1967 – Present
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit — Member, 1972 – Present
- U.S. Supreme Court — Member, 1974 – Present
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Neighborhood Legal Services Association — President, 2000 – 2002